Fake Flippers is an exclusive JP 1.0 glitch that allows Link to swim without actually having the Flippers. This can be useful for sequence breaking item locations such as Hobo, Waterfall Fairy, and Zora's Domain.
There are three main classifications on how to perform the Fake Flippers.
- Align yourself to the exact edge of a screen transition then jump into water while holding the direction into the transition. This will scroll the screen before Link can be booted out of the water giving him a swimming state.
|Screen Transition (Lake Hylia)||Screen Transition (Qirn Jump)||Screen Transition (Hobo Area)|
- Have a fairy in a bottle and go to an area that you can jump into deep water. Jump into water and take a death before respawning out of the water (typically using a held bomb) and the fairy will revive Link and put him into a swimming state.
|Fairy Revival (Ice Lake)|
- This method prevents the splash effect from occurring when Link jumps into the water by filling up all available ancilla slots before attempting to swim. It is the splashing effect itself that starts the game's routine to boot Link out of the water, so if the splash never spawns the game will never try to kick Link out giving a fake flipper state.
The following table is a list of common setups to delete the splash ancilla to activate fake flippers.
Working setups of splash delete are not limited to the examples shown above. Other setups can include the use of the Cane of Byrna, Blue Boomerang, Sword Beams, or an activated Flute to help fill an ancilla slot. Using these items are a little more niche but can typically work well in tandem with Water Walk to access the Zora Ledge item.
Splash Delete Important Note
There are situations where the Splash Delete may not work due to a variable (slot index, $0C34) that can cause this method to fail. This variable can be set to an undesirable value by spamming arrows or the lamp which can happen during normal game play by fighting Armos Knight or Lanmolas with the Bow, or draining your magic with the lamp to set up for Fake Powder.
For a list of known setups on how to reset this variable to a working value check out Ancilla Slot Index.
Other Execution Notes
While Link is using fake flippers there are several ways that can break Link out of the state:
- Moving onto dry land (Link will actually swim though shallow water while in fake flippers)
- Taking Damage - Taking any damage while in fake flippers will attempt to respawn Link at the coordinates where he entered the water. If you are not on the same screen you began swimming from, this will cause the game to respawn you at invalid coordinates. Moving at this stage will likely cause an infinite screenwrap, hardlocking the game and rendering you unable to save and quit. To be safe, you should always save and quit if you find yourself in a potential glitched state.
External Guides And Resources
- Qirn's ALttP Stupid Tech: Water Traversal (Fake Flippers Section)
- Qirn's West DW to East DW Fake Flipper Setup (Qirn Jump)
- Coy's Qirn Jump Tutorial
- Coy's Splash Delete Tutorial
- fmp's Glitch Explications (Fake Flippers)
- Yagamoth's Easy Ice Rod + Bomb Fake Flipper setup for vertical ledges