Hookpushing is a form of ancilla misslotting. Creating a Somaria block in the wrong slot, then using other items to manipulate other slots, allows you to affect the direction and distance that your next use of the hookshot will move you.
- Items that create sprites that remain on the screen for a while -- usually the Master Sword or better to cast sword beams
- A bow and bombs to perform a variant that works in confined spaces
The sprites that remain on the screen for a while are called ancilla, and by manipulating them, you can change the behavior of the hookshot.
Sword beam hookpushing
This example is a useful and satisfying hookpush to learn, because it gets you from the front of Eastern Palace directly to Armos.
Set up your practice ROM
You won't get to watch memory values in a run of the game, but when learning a hookpush, you absolutely want to use the LTTPHack practice ROM.
Here's the configuration I use (relevant part circled):
To be filled in:
- Lamp 3x left
- Drop somaria block
- make sword beams up, hold sword so sparkles happen
- quickly: pop somaria, kick up dust, replace somaria ("YAY" or "YAAY")
- You get a glitched somaria block that you can walk under
- dash+somaria (in rapid succession but you can't som while dashing) -- now there are 2 somaria blocks. The second is in ancilla slot 3
- face the direction you want to go, but not the exact wall you want to hookpush through
- pop the block, slash your sword during the pop (this can be point blank range)
- pick up the other block and carry it with you (so you don’t despawn it)
- hookshot the pot
- select buffer on the frame the hookshot hits the pot