ALTTPR Racing Ruleset
General Racing Rules
- Streaming is required for all recorded races. Currently, we allow a race monitor (person who created the room) to disable streaming enforcement. This should only be done for tournament races on a stream delay or other scenarios where streaming shouldn't be enforced. Failure to provide a VOD with proof of your finish time will likely result in a disqualification.
- Only permitted glitches (listed as competitive rules as seen below) for No Glitches logic races are allowed. Any race using a glitched ruleset should use the "Beat the game (glitches)" goal in RaceTime.gg.
- No voice calls with other racers (unless clearly noted in the room info)
- Auto-tracking is allowed. The auto-tracker can only perform the following actions automatically
- Record and track any item collected by a player, or record items already pre-equipped (for example, starting boots, sword, flute, etc).
- Record and track any small or big keys collected by a player.
- Record when the dungeon boss has been defeated.
- Record and track checked locations that are not in a dungeon. Location checks inside a dungeon cannot be tracked.
- Emulator-specific functionality is banned (fast forward, save states, disabling layer rendering, etc)
- ZSNES and Snes9x 1.4x are BANNED (they probably don't even work anyway).
- No controller turbo, no left+right or up+down
- Do not get help from another human during the race, do not look at the streams of other players.
- Do not post anything in chat, or put in a comment that contains spoilers. When in doubt, wait until the race has concluded before adding a comment to your race.
- ROM and RAM inspection (except for auto-tracking) are BANNED.
- If the game is generated on alttpr.com, it must remain unmodified after it is saved to your computer.
Spoiler log race exception
- Looking at another player's stream is allowed for spoiler log races (and only spoiler log races).
If in doubt of the above, please ask!
Suspected rule violations or cheating should be raised to the ALTTP Racing Council. You can find them on the discord linked above.
ALTTPR Racing Ruleset
The following table is a list of techniques that are allowed in ALTTP Randomizer races. A "✓" in each column indicates that a technique is allowed for that rule set.
Most races are done under the "Competitive" ruleset where only minor glitches are allowed. The "Major Glitches" (MG) ruleset is the same as what vanilla speedrunning calls RMG, and is also used in Hybrid Major Glitches racing.
Notes: If there are any techniques missing from this list or you think that additional clarifications are needed please contact a member of the ALTTPR Racing Council.
1: Glitched Mode Rulesets are pending review from the glitch racing communities and additional techniques and rules classification may be added needed.
2: This technique can be forced by using certain settings in No Glitches logic.